Skip to main content

God, Our Fortress in the Fight

Today I read: 2 Kings 9, Psalm 58-59, Hosea 1, and 1 Timothy 6.

Gospel summary: God will judge all mankind and come to the aide of his redeemed children, proving himself to be their strength and fortress. As we fight the good fight of faith in this world we can rest assured that he will never leave us nor forsake us, but will save us from this evil world in his own time.

Prayer: O God my strength and fortress, protect me from the forces of evil that stand against me and valiantly come to my rescue soon. I thank you that when I was not among your people and had not received mercy, you sent forth your Son to pay the penalty for my sins so that I might be adopted into your family and receive mercy. Help me today to fight the good fight of faith and to take hold of that which is truly life, realizing that all sin's promises of finding life outside you are false and fleeting. I thank you that when you return you will prove yourself to be a fortress about me and will punish all who don't come and find shelter from this world behind the impenetrable walls of your gospel. May I live in the shelter of your grace and never venture out after the deceitful promises of sin, knowing that such a fortress as you is a terrible thing to have against me. In the strong, fortress-like name of Jesus I pray, amen.

Memory verse: "But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning. For you have been to me at fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress. O my strength, I will sing praises to you, for you, O God, are my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love." -Psalm 59:16-17

Hymn: "Fight the Good Faith" by John S. B. Monsell

Fight the good fight with all thy might!
Christ is thy strength, and Christ thy right;
Lay hold on life, and it shall be
Thy joy and crown eternally.

Run the straight race thro' God's good grace,
Lift up thine eyes, and seek His face;
Life with its way before us lies,
Christ is the path, and Christ the prize.

Cast care aside, lean on thy Guide,
His boundless mercy will provide;
Trust, and thy trusting soul shall prove
Christ is its life, and Christ its love.

Faint not nor fear, His arms are near,
He changeth not, and thou art dear;
Only believe, and thou shalt see
That Christ is all in all to thee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Steps to the Pulpit

Many times I’ve sat on the front pew just prior to the sermon time looking at the steps to the pulpit. In these moments each Sunday morning I’m reminded of the great task with which I have been entrusted and my own weakness to perform it. After hours of painstaking study and prayerful preparation, I still stare at those steps and feel under qualified, knowing I’ve only scratched the surface of the message. There is a certain holy trembling a preacher feels before climbing those steps to proclaim God’s eternal Word. In centuries past, preachers like Charles Spurgeon and Martyn Lloyd-Jones had to climb winding staircases to reach the “sacred desk”, but many pulpits today are just a few steps above the floor. Whether you have many steps or none at all, it is an other-worldly task we have been given. The following are a few practical steps preachers can take before climbing the real ones on Sunday morning... 1. Get in the Word We must immerse ourselves in the text at the outset o

Sleep: Keeping in the Guardrails

Sleep is great. Who doesn’t want to get a full eight hours every night and wake up feeling rested and refreshed? Yet most of us find this quite challenging, if not impossible. There can be any number of reasons why we don’t get a good night’s sleep: work demands, small children who often cry out at night, household chores that must be completed, our favorite TV show that comes on late, a guilty conscience or racing mind, or even a health problem. For those of us who don’t have as much responsibility,  over sleeping can be a temptation: college students who don’t have class until 11am, the retired or unemployed who don’t have a boss waiting on them, or the self-employed who don’t have a fixed schedule. What can we do to avoid losing control of our sleep and this causing damage in other aspects of our lives? God’s Word teaches us to stay between two guardrails: too little sleep and too much sleep. The first guardrail, too little sleep, is found in Psalm 127:2: “ It is vain that you r

God's Power to the Humble

Today I read: 2 Kings 5, Psalm 51, Daniel 9, and 1 Timothy 2. Gospel Summary: We must humble ourselves before God in order to experience His power. Those who do not come to the cross on their knees will be denied its saving power. Prayer: Great and awesome God, show me your power and glory so that I may stay humble before you at all times and not think that I have anything to boast of on my own. Thank you for humbling yourself in the wonder of the incarnation and the shame of the cross so that I might experience the power of your salvation. Show me my own proneness to wander from you so that I may constantly come humbled before your throne, for you use your power against the proud and I never want to experience that. Make your power known through me as I come constantly humbled before you, so that you may draw sinners to the Savior from among all peoples. In the powerful name of Jesus I pray, amen. Hymn: "Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior" by Fanny Crosby Pass me