Skip to main content

The Power of The Spirit of God

Today I read: 2 Kings 2, Psalm 48, Daniel 6, and 2 Thessalonians 2.

Gospel Summary: Our spiritual strength is not our own, but is a result of the Holy Spirit working in us. When we trust in God's strength, we are immovable and even our greatest foes cannot destroy us. If it were not for the Holy Spirit we would have no strength against the forces of evil that come against us.

Prayer: O God, you are my strength and apart from your Holy Spirit in me I would be nothing. Keep me ever pleading like Elisha for a double portion of your Spirit. Spare me today from assuming that I have this power apart from you and keep me ever dependent on the constant filling of your Holy Spirit. Show me that with your Holy Spirit in me there is nothing I face you cannot bring me through. But please teach me that apart from your Spirit I have no chance against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Keep me constant in faith, knowing that I am weak without you, you are God without me, evil is stronger than me, but by the power of your Spirit in me I am invincible against all evil, because Jesus conquered my greatest enemy at the cross. In the strong name of Jesus I pray, amen.

Hymn: "LORD, Bring Revival" by Kathleen Shea Vick

LORD, bring revival to my heart.
Come down with quick’ning power.
LORD, give to me the strength I need
To carry on this very hour.
My heart is faint, my flesh is weak.
Come LORD Jesus. Send Thy Spirit.
LORD, restore the joy of Thy salvation unto me.

LORD, bring revival to the church,
For though professing be,
There are many here within our midst
Who still are strangers unto Thee.
They are bound in garments of the grave.
Call them forth from death to new life.
LORD, revive the dead among us, calling them by name.

LORD, bring revival to our land,
For on every side we see
Men and women woefully at ease,
Infected with a dread disease.
Pour forth Thy healing balm, O LORD.
May our zeal convict a nation.
Great Physician, may Thy Truth impart the remedy.

LORD, bring revival to the world.
Thou hast promised there would be
The elect of God in every tribe,
Who long to hear The Word from Thee.
White unto harvest are the fields.
Send Thy servants forth with power.
May Thy Spirit carry us into fields of ripened wheat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Steps to the Pulpit

Many times I’ve sat on the front pew just prior to the sermon time looking at the steps to the pulpit. In these moments each Sunday morning I’m reminded of the great task with which I have been entrusted and my own weakness to perform it. After hours of painstaking study and prayerful preparation, I still stare at those steps and feel under qualified, knowing I’ve only scratched the surface of the message. There is a certain holy trembling a preacher feels before climbing those steps to proclaim God’s eternal Word. In centuries past, preachers like Charles Spurgeon and Martyn Lloyd-Jones had to climb winding staircases to reach the “sacred desk”, but many pulpits today are just a few steps above the floor. Whether you have many steps or none at all, it is an other-worldly task we have been given. The following are a few practical steps preachers can take before climbing the real ones on Sunday morning... 1. Get in the Word We must immerse ourselves in the text at the outset o

Sleep: Keeping in the Guardrails

Sleep is great. Who doesn’t want to get a full eight hours every night and wake up feeling rested and refreshed? Yet most of us find this quite challenging, if not impossible. There can be any number of reasons why we don’t get a good night’s sleep: work demands, small children who often cry out at night, household chores that must be completed, our favorite TV show that comes on late, a guilty conscience or racing mind, or even a health problem. For those of us who don’t have as much responsibility,  over sleeping can be a temptation: college students who don’t have class until 11am, the retired or unemployed who don’t have a boss waiting on them, or the self-employed who don’t have a fixed schedule. What can we do to avoid losing control of our sleep and this causing damage in other aspects of our lives? God’s Word teaches us to stay between two guardrails: too little sleep and too much sleep. The first guardrail, too little sleep, is found in Psalm 127:2: “ It is vain that you r

God's Power to the Humble

Today I read: 2 Kings 5, Psalm 51, Daniel 9, and 1 Timothy 2. Gospel Summary: We must humble ourselves before God in order to experience His power. Those who do not come to the cross on their knees will be denied its saving power. Prayer: Great and awesome God, show me your power and glory so that I may stay humble before you at all times and not think that I have anything to boast of on my own. Thank you for humbling yourself in the wonder of the incarnation and the shame of the cross so that I might experience the power of your salvation. Show me my own proneness to wander from you so that I may constantly come humbled before your throne, for you use your power against the proud and I never want to experience that. Make your power known through me as I come constantly humbled before you, so that you may draw sinners to the Savior from among all peoples. In the powerful name of Jesus I pray, amen. Hymn: "Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior" by Fanny Crosby Pass me