Skip to main content

Confusing Beliefs

Last night, Colby, Emily, Brad, Clay, and I went out witnessing and we had a great time seeing God work. Clay and Brad went together while Emily, Colby, and I went together. At first we ran into some people that didn't have time to talk, but then we ran into a couple of girls who had a little differing beliefs. One girl was Catholic and believed that if she were to die then she would have gone to purgatory, because she wasn't being a good enough person to go to Heaven yet. The other girl said that she didn't even know what to believe because she had grown up in church, but never really understood everything and it never really applied to her life. She had heard it before but didn't honestly believe it to be true. After sharing the whole Gospel with her and pointing out her....and the rest of the worlds...need for a Savior, she said she would go and read Psalm 51 and start reading John. She seemed to understand everything, but I wish I could have asked her what that truth meant to her heart. Anyway, she said she was interested in coming to the Bible study group that meets at my house once a week. Next, we talked with a guy I had talked to a week ago and he said that he was still living in the sin and was on his way to sin more and that he was having a baby, but wasn't emotionally ready. As we talked with him some more, I feel that God worked on his heart and he was very glad to have seen us. We later talked with a girl who had some interesting beliefs. She stated that she was going to Heaven and she said that her brother had died about a year ago in an accident and he was very religious. She said that anyone can go to Heaven if they just want to go. So I said, so everybody is going then right? and she said no, that some people want to go to Hell. I was a little shocked at this, but I kept going. She stated that everyone knows when they are going to die and when I questioned this, she said that several people have left notes behind even though they didn't know they were dying that day. I now wonder, why didn't they go somewhere else and not towards the place they knew they would die? but this didn't help her to understand God's plan, so I explained to her the Gospel and her need for the Savior....she was in a bit of a hurry, but was very interested in what we were talking about. I pray that she will realize her need for Christ and turn to Him in absolute surrender. Colby and I then talked to a guy who said he didn't want to talk about salvation so I was going to give him a tract, but he was going to throw it away, so I didn't....I informed him that everybody has to face death someday and that we should all be ready for it before it comes, but he just didn't understand. This was just heart-breaking....the guy had nothing else to do and was just sitting there, but he refused to face something that he will one day have to. I pray that he is convicted and turns to the Lord with his whole heart to find that God alone provided a way for his redemption in Christ. God is good and is doing a lot on this campus, but He wants to use us to fulfill His plan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Steps to the Pulpit

Many times I’ve sat on the front pew just prior to the sermon time looking at the steps to the pulpit. In these moments each Sunday morning I’m reminded of the great task with which I have been entrusted and my own weakness to perform it. After hours of painstaking study and prayerful preparation, I still stare at those steps and feel under qualified, knowing I’ve only scratched the surface of the message. There is a certain holy trembling a preacher feels before climbing those steps to proclaim God’s eternal Word. In centuries past, preachers like Charles Spurgeon and Martyn Lloyd-Jones had to climb winding staircases to reach the “sacred desk”, but many pulpits today are just a few steps above the floor. Whether you have many steps or none at all, it is an other-worldly task we have been given. The following are a few practical steps preachers can take before climbing the real ones on Sunday morning... 1. Get in the Word We must immerse ourselves in the text at the outset o

Sleep: Keeping in the Guardrails

Sleep is great. Who doesn’t want to get a full eight hours every night and wake up feeling rested and refreshed? Yet most of us find this quite challenging, if not impossible. There can be any number of reasons why we don’t get a good night’s sleep: work demands, small children who often cry out at night, household chores that must be completed, our favorite TV show that comes on late, a guilty conscience or racing mind, or even a health problem. For those of us who don’t have as much responsibility,  over sleeping can be a temptation: college students who don’t have class until 11am, the retired or unemployed who don’t have a boss waiting on them, or the self-employed who don’t have a fixed schedule. What can we do to avoid losing control of our sleep and this causing damage in other aspects of our lives? God’s Word teaches us to stay between two guardrails: too little sleep and too much sleep. The first guardrail, too little sleep, is found in Psalm 127:2: “ It is vain that you r

God's Power to the Humble

Today I read: 2 Kings 5, Psalm 51, Daniel 9, and 1 Timothy 2. Gospel Summary: We must humble ourselves before God in order to experience His power. Those who do not come to the cross on their knees will be denied its saving power. Prayer: Great and awesome God, show me your power and glory so that I may stay humble before you at all times and not think that I have anything to boast of on my own. Thank you for humbling yourself in the wonder of the incarnation and the shame of the cross so that I might experience the power of your salvation. Show me my own proneness to wander from you so that I may constantly come humbled before your throne, for you use your power against the proud and I never want to experience that. Make your power known through me as I come constantly humbled before you, so that you may draw sinners to the Savior from among all peoples. In the powerful name of Jesus I pray, amen. Hymn: "Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior" by Fanny Crosby Pass me