Skip to main content

Life Aboard a Sinking Ship

Scripture reading: Deuteronomy 20, Psalm 107, Isaiah 47, Revelation 17.

Gospel summary: This world and its desires can easily drag us away from Christ. We have often been led astray by the world's way of thinking and found ourselves grasping other idols because we've forgotten how the true God has chosen us, called us, and redeemed us at the cost of his only Son's life blood. Yet even in our sin, God has been gracious to discipline us and lead us back to his heart. God will soon judge this world and its ways, therefore I must not grow too comfortable here, lest I go down with it. I must always view this world as a sinking ship and its pleasures as those which fools enjoy like those who carelessly eat caviar on the deck of the Titanic, unconcerned that their pleasures would soon result in their own deaths.

Prayer: Father in heaven, I need your grace. This world is full of temptations and snares at every turn. There is no place I can hide from the enticing delicacies of worldliness because my own flesh draws them out wherever I go. Give me strength from your word and by your Holy Spirit to keep fighting against my indwelling sin and resisting the temptation's of this world until my dying breath. I have so often sat down at the table with my enemies and enjoyed their fleeting pleasures only to discover they are enslaving, poisonous, and leave me guilt-ridden. Thank you for graciously redeeming me from this sin-saturated lifestyle at the cost of your Son's very blood.  Give me eyes to see the handwriting on the wall and a heart to know that this world's time is running out. Help me to learn from Lot's wife the importance of never looking back longingly to my old worldly lifestyle. Thank you that there are far greater pleasures and treasures to be found in fellowship with Christ than in all this world's broken cisterns. For the glory of Christ I pray, amen.

Key verses: "He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and burst their bonds apart. Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man!" (Psalm 107:14-15)

Hymn: "Only in Thee" by Thomas Chisholm

Only in Thee, O Saviour mine,
Dwelleth my soul in peace divine,
Peace that the world, tho' all combine,
Never can take from me.
Pleasures of earth, so seemingly sweet,
Fail at the last my longings to meet;
Only in Thee my bliss is complete,
Only, dear Lord, in Thee!

Only in Thee, a radiance bright
Shines like a beacon in the night,
Guiding my pilgrim bark aright
Over life's trackless sea.
Only in Thee, when troubles molest,
When with temptation I am oppressed,
There is a sweet pavilion of rest,
Only, dear Lord, in Thee!

Only in Thee, when days are drear,
When neither sun nor stars appear,
Still I can trust and feel no fear,
Sing when I cannot see.
Only in Thee, whatever betide,
All of my need is freely supplied,
There is no hope or helper beside,
Only, dear Lord, in Thee!

Only in Thee, dear Saviour, slain,
Losing Thy life my own to gain,
Trusting, I'm cleansed from ev'ry stain,
Thou art my only plea.
Only in Thee, my heart will delight,
Till in that land where cometh no night,
Faith will be lost in heavenly sight,
Only, dear Lord, in Thee!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Steps to the Pulpit

Many times I’ve sat on the front pew just prior to the sermon time looking at the steps to the pulpit. In these moments each Sunday morning I’m reminded of the great task with which I have been entrusted and my own weakness to perform it. After hours of painstaking study and prayerful preparation, I still stare at those steps and feel under qualified, knowing I’ve only scratched the surface of the message. There is a certain holy trembling a preacher feels before climbing those steps to proclaim God’s eternal Word. In centuries past, preachers like Charles Spurgeon and Martyn Lloyd-Jones had to climb winding staircases to reach the “sacred desk”, but many pulpits today are just a few steps above the floor. Whether you have many steps or none at all, it is an other-worldly task we have been given. The following are a few practical steps preachers can take before climbing the real ones on Sunday morning... 1. Get in the Word We must immerse ourselves in the text at the outset o

Pastors & Spider-Man

The other night my wife and I decided to watch one of the Spiderman movies we owned at the house. During the movie, I felt an odd connection with Peter Parker and his Spiderman persona. It was then that I started thinking about all the ways pastors and Spiderman have a very similar calling. First, like Spiderman, pastors are urged to serve because of the serious need they see around them and the unique calling given them. Whereas Peter Parker is urged by the screams of people who are in danger, we are urged by the lostness around us. When Paul was at Athens, his spirit was provoked when he saw the idols they worshiped (Acts 17:16ff). As pastors, we must never stop seeing the spiritual desperation in people’s lives. All believers are called to serve others for the sake of Christ, but pastors have a unique calling to shepherd their souls as well. Second, both pastors and Spiderman share the struggle of their calling with one woman (our wives, except in the case of Peter Parker).

Sleep: Keeping in the Guardrails

Sleep is great. Who doesn’t want to get a full eight hours every night and wake up feeling rested and refreshed? Yet most of us find this quite challenging, if not impossible. There can be any number of reasons why we don’t get a good night’s sleep: work demands, small children who often cry out at night, household chores that must be completed, our favorite TV show that comes on late, a guilty conscience or racing mind, or even a health problem. For those of us who don’t have as much responsibility,  over sleeping can be a temptation: college students who don’t have class until 11am, the retired or unemployed who don’t have a boss waiting on them, or the self-employed who don’t have a fixed schedule. What can we do to avoid losing control of our sleep and this causing damage in other aspects of our lives? God’s Word teaches us to stay between two guardrails: too little sleep and too much sleep. The first guardrail, too little sleep, is found in Psalm 127:2: “ It is vain that you r