Skip to main content

Faith in the Sacrifice Gets Us behind the Curtain

Scripture: Exodus 27, Proverbs 3, John 6, Galatians 2.

Gospel Summary: We are sinners who constantly turn away from God's wise commands and therefore are closed off from all access to him. No amount of good works can ever atone for our sins. The only hope for guilty sinners like us to regain access into God's presence is by faith in the sacrifice. The continual blood sacrifices of the Old Testament were necessary for God's people if they wished to know the God behind the curtain, yet they're only a shadow of the great sacrifice to come at Calvary. By faith in Christ's death and resurrection to atone for our sins, we enjoy fellowship with the holy God we've offended, for the curtain has been torn in two. God doesn't ask us to work for his favor, but instead has freely given it to us in Christ if we only believe. If we lean on our own understanding (that says we're ok), we'll remain separated from God, but if we trust in the Lord Jesus with all our hearts, he will direct our paths to eternal life in God's presence.

Prayer: Father in heaven, I've offended you with my sin. I've turned my back on your commands, drunk down sin as if it were water, reveled in that which you despise, and idolized those things which are an abomination to your holy majesty. I know that no amount of religious effort, community service, or right-thinking can enable me to enter in where even angels fear to trod. Left to myself, I am hopelessly lost and headed for your just condemnation. Yet in your astounding mercy, you sent forth your beloved Son to die a bloody death so that I could know your presence. The flesh of Christ was torn for me so that the curtain which separated me from your presence would be torn forever. Now you simply call me to look in faith to Christ's sacrifice to have life. Oh God, what a gracious God you are! Thank you that even when my idolatrous heart once refused to look, you drew me unto yourself with cords of love and gave me eyes to see the wonder of Calvary. Thank you that my heart now joyfully beholds Christ's sacrifice as the glorious sight it is. Help me to live each day continually trusting that Jesus's death is enough. Keep me from the lies of my flesh, the devil, and this world that tell me more is necessary to earn your favor. Give me grace to behold Christ from now and to eternity when I will finally see him face-to-face. For the glory of Christ I pray, amen.

Key verse: "Yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified." -Gal. 2:16

Hymn: Amidst Us Our Beloved Stands by Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Stanzas:
Amidst us our Beloved stands,
And bids us view His pierced hands:
Points to His wounded feet and side,
Blest emblems of the Crucified.

What food luxurious loads the board,
When at His table sits the Lord!
The wine how rich, the bread how sweet,
When Jesus deigns the guests to meet!

If now, with eyes defiled and dim,
We see the signs, but see not Him,
O may His love the scales displace,
And bid us see Him face to face!

Our former transports we recount,
When with Him in the holy mount:
These cause our souls to thirst anew
His marred but lovely face to view.

Thou glorious Bridegroom of our hearts,
Thy present smile a heav'n imparts;
O lift the veil, if veil there be,
Let ev'ry saint Thy beauties see!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Steps to the Pulpit

Many times I’ve sat on the front pew just prior to the sermon time looking at the steps to the pulpit. In these moments each Sunday morning I’m reminded of the great task with which I have been entrusted and my own weakness to perform it. After hours of painstaking study and prayerful preparation, I still stare at those steps and feel under qualified, knowing I’ve only scratched the surface of the message. There is a certain holy trembling a preacher feels before climbing those steps to proclaim God’s eternal Word. In centuries past, preachers like Charles Spurgeon and Martyn Lloyd-Jones had to climb winding staircases to reach the “sacred desk”, but many pulpits today are just a few steps above the floor. Whether you have many steps or none at all, it is an other-worldly task we have been given. The following are a few practical steps preachers can take before climbing the real ones on Sunday morning... 1. Get in the Word We must immerse ourselves in the text at the outset o

Sleep: Keeping in the Guardrails

Sleep is great. Who doesn’t want to get a full eight hours every night and wake up feeling rested and refreshed? Yet most of us find this quite challenging, if not impossible. There can be any number of reasons why we don’t get a good night’s sleep: work demands, small children who often cry out at night, household chores that must be completed, our favorite TV show that comes on late, a guilty conscience or racing mind, or even a health problem. For those of us who don’t have as much responsibility,  over sleeping can be a temptation: college students who don’t have class until 11am, the retired or unemployed who don’t have a boss waiting on them, or the self-employed who don’t have a fixed schedule. What can we do to avoid losing control of our sleep and this causing damage in other aspects of our lives? God’s Word teaches us to stay between two guardrails: too little sleep and too much sleep. The first guardrail, too little sleep, is found in Psalm 127:2: “ It is vain that you r

God's Power to the Humble

Today I read: 2 Kings 5, Psalm 51, Daniel 9, and 1 Timothy 2. Gospel Summary: We must humble ourselves before God in order to experience His power. Those who do not come to the cross on their knees will be denied its saving power. Prayer: Great and awesome God, show me your power and glory so that I may stay humble before you at all times and not think that I have anything to boast of on my own. Thank you for humbling yourself in the wonder of the incarnation and the shame of the cross so that I might experience the power of your salvation. Show me my own proneness to wander from you so that I may constantly come humbled before your throne, for you use your power against the proud and I never want to experience that. Make your power known through me as I come constantly humbled before you, so that you may draw sinners to the Savior from among all peoples. In the powerful name of Jesus I pray, amen. Hymn: "Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior" by Fanny Crosby Pass me