Skip to main content

Persevere with Sweeter Promises in the Gospel

Today I read: 2 Kings 21, Psalms 75-76, Hosea 14, and Hebrews 3.

Gospel summary: Knowing that we all will be judged by God, we must constantly exhort one another in the faith to persevere and resist the deceitful promises of sin. We are God's children by his gracious choice, not our wise decision making or moral uprightness, but if we fall away we are proving ourselves to have never known Jesus.

Prayer: Father in heaven, thank you for graciously drawing me to yourself in Christ though I was lost in sin and a rebel to your throne. The deceitful promises of sin held me fast, but you broke through and conquered Satan and sin's grip on me by means of the cross. You freed me to believe your trustworthy Word and be saved. Sin is always making its sweet promises to me everywhere I turn, but show me that there is gravel and fire at the end of sin's path. Help me remain faithful to you, resisting sin's very real hardening dangers by the sweeter promises Jesus bought for me in the gospel. Show me that I can only believe your Word in this life if I wish to endure to the end. Give me the words today to encourage others to remain faithful on your pathway too. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

Memory verses: "Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God. But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. For we have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original confidence firm to the end." (‭Hebrews‬ ‭3‬:‭12-14‬ ESV)

Hymn: "Abide With Me" by Henry F. Lyte

Abide with me: fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide!
When other helpers fail, and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day;
Earth's joys grow dim, its glories pass away;
Change and decay in all around I see:
O Thou who changest not, abide with me.

I need Thy presence ev'ry passing hour;
What but Thy grace can foil the tempter's pow'r?
Who, like Thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.

I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;
Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness:
Where is death's sting? where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if Thou abide with me.

Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;
Shine through the gloom, and point me to the skies;
Heav'n's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Steps to the Pulpit

Many times I’ve sat on the front pew just prior to the sermon time looking at the steps to the pulpit. In these moments each Sunday morning I’m reminded of the great task with which I have been entrusted and my own weakness to perform it. After hours of painstaking study and prayerful preparation, I still stare at those steps and feel under qualified, knowing I’ve only scratched the surface of the message. There is a certain holy trembling a preacher feels before climbing those steps to proclaim God’s eternal Word. In centuries past, preachers like Charles Spurgeon and Martyn Lloyd-Jones had to climb winding staircases to reach the “sacred desk”, but many pulpits today are just a few steps above the floor. Whether you have many steps or none at all, it is an other-worldly task we have been given. The following are a few practical steps preachers can take before climbing the real ones on Sunday morning... 1. Get in the Word We must immerse ourselves in the text at the outset o

Sleep: Keeping in the Guardrails

Sleep is great. Who doesn’t want to get a full eight hours every night and wake up feeling rested and refreshed? Yet most of us find this quite challenging, if not impossible. There can be any number of reasons why we don’t get a good night’s sleep: work demands, small children who often cry out at night, household chores that must be completed, our favorite TV show that comes on late, a guilty conscience or racing mind, or even a health problem. For those of us who don’t have as much responsibility,  over sleeping can be a temptation: college students who don’t have class until 11am, the retired or unemployed who don’t have a boss waiting on them, or the self-employed who don’t have a fixed schedule. What can we do to avoid losing control of our sleep and this causing damage in other aspects of our lives? God’s Word teaches us to stay between two guardrails: too little sleep and too much sleep. The first guardrail, too little sleep, is found in Psalm 127:2: “ It is vain that you r

God's Power to the Humble

Today I read: 2 Kings 5, Psalm 51, Daniel 9, and 1 Timothy 2. Gospel Summary: We must humble ourselves before God in order to experience His power. Those who do not come to the cross on their knees will be denied its saving power. Prayer: Great and awesome God, show me your power and glory so that I may stay humble before you at all times and not think that I have anything to boast of on my own. Thank you for humbling yourself in the wonder of the incarnation and the shame of the cross so that I might experience the power of your salvation. Show me my own proneness to wander from you so that I may constantly come humbled before your throne, for you use your power against the proud and I never want to experience that. Make your power known through me as I come constantly humbled before you, so that you may draw sinners to the Savior from among all peoples. In the powerful name of Jesus I pray, amen. Hymn: "Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior" by Fanny Crosby Pass me