Skip to main content

Thankful for Seminary


I just finished my four year seminary career and man was it amazing. I have learned so much these past four years about the grace that God has given in sending His one and only Son. If someone were to ask me what the number one thing I learned in seminary is, I would have to say that I learned more about God's love for sinners in Christ than anything else. Before going to seminary I talked with one person who had just graduated and I asked them what they thought. They told me it should be called cemetery because this particular person's experience was not very good. I have to say that I don't understand how someone's experience could have been so negative because mine seemed so great. The professors at Southern Seminary are some of the most gifted Bible scholars in the world and yet they are very down to earth and friendly. I have had the privilege to learn the original languages of the Scripture along with courses on Church History and Systematic Theology. I have taken courses on books of the Bible from my own pastor and have been privileged to grow in my knowledge of Scripture.


 Seminary has taught me a lot, but so has marriage. Emily and I got married on June 6, 2009 and had our daughter Annie Ruth October 16, 2011 (my birthday). I have learned through marriage what it means to be a good husband who leads the family well and provides for them. I have learned the importance of not being overly busy and having quality family time. I have also learned that I am a huge sinner. Before marriage, its fairly easy to think of oneself as pretty holy, but marriage helps to bring out your true nature and allow God to really get to working on your sanctification. I am so grateful now to have a little sinner to lead in raising unto the Lord so that I can best explain this big and wonderful God I've come to know.


 Now that my seminary career is over I am sending out resumes all over the country and am passionate about serving the Lord in the local church. The local church is where God's heart is and I want to be there to serve Him. Its so great being done with seminary because now I have all the more time to devote to serving His body. I have to say that the most important thing I've learned about myself in seminary is the importance to have godly friends who will help you live for the Lord. The friends who have been there during my seminary career have truly helped me to fall more in love with Jesus when this old stubborn heart of mine wants its own ways pretty bad. I am so excited to see where God takes us next and I pray he helps me fan into flame His gift for the equipping of the saints for the work of the ministry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Steps to the Pulpit

Many times I’ve sat on the front pew just prior to the sermon time looking at the steps to the pulpit. In these moments each Sunday morning I’m reminded of the great task with which I have been entrusted and my own weakness to perform it. After hours of painstaking study and prayerful preparation, I still stare at those steps and feel under qualified, knowing I’ve only scratched the surface of the message. There is a certain holy trembling a preacher feels before climbing those steps to proclaim God’s eternal Word. In centuries past, preachers like Charles Spurgeon and Martyn Lloyd-Jones had to climb winding staircases to reach the “sacred desk”, but many pulpits today are just a few steps above the floor. Whether you have many steps or none at all, it is an other-worldly task we have been given. The following are a few practical steps preachers can take before climbing the real ones on Sunday morning... 1. Get in the Word We must immerse ourselves in the text at the outset o

Pastors & Spider-Man

The other night my wife and I decided to watch one of the Spiderman movies we owned at the house. During the movie, I felt an odd connection with Peter Parker and his Spiderman persona. It was then that I started thinking about all the ways pastors and Spiderman have a very similar calling. First, like Spiderman, pastors are urged to serve because of the serious need they see around them and the unique calling given them. Whereas Peter Parker is urged by the screams of people who are in danger, we are urged by the lostness around us. When Paul was at Athens, his spirit was provoked when he saw the idols they worshiped (Acts 17:16ff). As pastors, we must never stop seeing the spiritual desperation in people’s lives. All believers are called to serve others for the sake of Christ, but pastors have a unique calling to shepherd their souls as well. Second, both pastors and Spiderman share the struggle of their calling with one woman (our wives, except in the case of Peter Parker).

Sabbath or Lord's Day?

What is the Sabbath? Why did God include keeping the Sabbath in the 10 Commandments? Does the Bible call Christians today to keep the Sabbath? Should believers do any work on the Sabbath? Is the Sabbath Saturday or Sunday? Does any of this matter? These are all questions that the Bible answers for us, although there are a variety of different practices among churchgoers. It must first be noted that the keeping of the Sabbath was commanded by God Himself to the people of Israel as they wandered through the wilderness. God wanted His people to so reflect His holy character that He called them to rest from their work as He rested from the work of creation (Ex. 20:8-11). As He often does, God had called Israel to do the opposite of what common sense states. To take a day off of work is seen by many to be contrary to good productivity, but in the Lord's economy, it shows true success. By resting on the Sabbath day, Israel was publicly declaring to God their faith in His ability t