Skip to main content

What Happened At The Cross? -Psalm 22

Psalm 22
“To the choirmaster: according to The Doe of the Dawn. A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest. Yet you are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel. In you our fathers trusted; they trusted, and you delivered them. To you they cried and were rescued; in you they trusted and were not put to shame. But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by mankind and despised by the people. All who see me mock me; they make mouths at me; they wag their heads; "He trusts in the LORD; let him deliver him; let him rescue him, for he delights in him!" Yet you are he who took me from the womb; you made me trust you at my mother's breasts. On you was I cast from my birth, and from my mother's womb you have been my God. Be not far from me, for trouble is near, and there is none to help. Many bulls encompass me; strong bulls of Bashan surround me; they open wide their mouths at me, like a ravening and roaring lion. I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; my heart is like wax; it is melted within my breast; my strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to my jaws; you lay me in the dust of death. For dogs encompass me; a company of evildoers encircles me; they have pierced my hands and feet-- I can count all my bones-- they stare and gloat over me; they divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots. But you, O LORD, do not be far off! O you my help, come quickly to my aid! Deliver my soul from the sword, my precious life from the power of the dog! Save me from the mouth of the lion! You have rescued me from the horns of the wild oxen! I will tell of your name to my brothers; in the midst of the congregation I will praise you: You who fear the LORD, praise him! All you offspring of Jacob, glorify him, and stand in awe of him, all you offspring of Israel! For he has not despised or abhorred the affliction of the afflicted, and he has not hidden his face from him, but has heard, when he cried to him. From you comes my praise in the great congregation; my vows I will perform before those who fear him. The afflicted shall eat and be satisfied; those who seek him shall praise the LORD! May your hearts live forever! All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the LORD, and all the families of the nations shall worship before you. For kingship belongs to the LORD, and he rules over the nations. All the prosperous of the earth eat and worship; before him shall bow all who go down to the dust, even the one who could not keep himself alive. Posterity shall serve him; it shall be told of the Lord to the coming generation; they shall come and proclaim his righteousness to a people yet unborn, that he has done it.”


Most people only need to hear the first four words of this psalm to know how the rest of the sentence goes. For those of us this side of the cross, David’s first question to God in the midst of his persecutions strikes us as the exact same words Jesus cried aloud from his blood-stained cross and it should. Though it is true that David was simply writing of his own suffering hundreds of years before Christ was even born, we cannot be shocked to discover that they speak so clearly of Christ’s death and agony on the cross as well. Here are some clear similarities between David’s words here and what actually happened at the crucifixion of Jesus hundnreds of years later:

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? (v. 1)

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" that is, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
(Mat 27:46, Mark 15:34, Luke 24:44)

O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest.

And he withdrew from them about a stone's throw, and knelt down and prayed, saying, "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done." And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him. And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground. And when he rose from prayer, he came to the disciples and found them sleeping for sorrow, and he said to them, "Why are you sleeping? Rise and pray that you may not enter into temptation."
(Luk 22:41-46)

All who see me mock me; they make mouths at me; they wag their heads; "He trusts in the LORD; let him deliver him; let him rescue him, for he delights in him!"

And those who passed by derided him, wagging their heads
(Mat 27:39)

And those who passed by derided him, wagging their heads and saying, "Aha! You who would destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days,
(Mar 15:29)

And the people stood by, watching, but the rulers scoffed at him, saying, "He saved others; let him save himself, if he is the Christ of God, his Chosen One!" The soldiers also mocked him, coming up and offering him sour wine and saying, "If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!" There was also an inscription over him, "This is the King of the Jews." One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, "Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!"
(Luk 23:35-39)

"He saved others; he cannot save himself. He is the King of Israel; let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. He trusts in God; let God deliver him now, if he desires him. For he said, 'I am the Son of God.'"
(Mat 27:42-43)

Be not far from me, for trouble is near, and there is none to help

But all this has taken place that the Scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled." Then all the disciples left him and fled.
(Mat 26:56)

Many bulls encompass me; strong bulls of Bashan surround me

When morning came, all the chief priests and the elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death.
(Mat 27:1)

; they open wide their mouths at me, like a ravening and roaring lion

Then the chief priests and the elders of the people gathered in the palace of the high priest, whose name was Caiaphas, and plotted together in order to arrest Jesus by stealth and kill him.
(Mat 26:3-4)

I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; my heart is like wax; it is melted within my breast;

And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground.
(Luk 22:44)

Then he said to them, "My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me."
(Mat 26:38)

my strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to my jaws; you lay me in the dust of death.

After this, Jesus, knowing that all was now finished, said (to fulfill the Scripture), "I thirst."
(Joh 19:28)

And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit.
(Mat 27:50)

For dogs encompass me; a company of evildoers encircles me; they have pierced my hands and feet—

Then those who had seized Jesus led him to Caiaphas the high priest, where the scribes and the elders had gathered.
(Mat 26:57)

And when they had crucified him, they divided his garments among them by casting lots.
(Mat 27:35)

And they crucified him and divided his garments among them, casting lots for them, to decide what each should take.
(Mar 15:24)

And when they came to the place that is called The Skull, there they crucified him, and the criminals, one on his right and one on his left.
(Luk 23:33)

When the soldiers had crucified Jesus, they took his garments and divided them into four parts, one part for each soldier; also his tunic. But the tunic was seamless, woven in one piece from top to bottom,
(Joh 19:23)

they stare and gloat over me

Then they sat down and kept watch over him there.
(Mat 27:36)

they divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots.

And when they had crucified him, they divided his garments among them by casting lots.
(Mat 27:35)

And they crucified him and divided his garments among them, casting lots for them, to decide what each should take.
(Mar 15:24)

And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." And they cast lots to divide his garments.
(Luk 23:34)

When the soldiers had crucified Jesus, they took his garments and divided them into four parts, one part for each soldier; also his tunic. But the tunic was seamless, woven in one piece from top to bottom, so they said to one another, "Let us not tear it, but cast lots for it to see whose it shall be." This was to fulfill the Scripture which says, "They divided my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots." So the soldiers did these things,
(Joh 19:23-24)

David ends his psalm by speaking of a day in the future when all God’s people will be gathered from the ends of the earth to worship him and declare that he has saved them. When he declares, “for he has done it”, its clear that he is speaking of the act of taking on himself the sins of the world. The mind-boggling truth of all of this is that Jesus willingly laid down his life for us and no one took it from him. Jesus even said “For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father." (Joh 10:17-18). We can rest in confident faith if Jesus is our Lord and Savior because no one can take away what he accomplished for sinners at the cross.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Steps to the Pulpit

Many times I’ve sat on the front pew just prior to the sermon time looking at the steps to the pulpit. In these moments each Sunday morning I’m reminded of the great task with which I have been entrusted and my own weakness to perform it. After hours of painstaking study and prayerful preparation, I still stare at those steps and feel under qualified, knowing I’ve only scratched the surface of the message. There is a certain holy trembling a preacher feels before climbing those steps to proclaim God’s eternal Word. In centuries past, preachers like Charles Spurgeon and Martyn Lloyd-Jones had to climb winding staircases to reach the “sacred desk”, but many pulpits today are just a few steps above the floor. Whether you have many steps or none at all, it is an other-worldly task we have been given. The following are a few practical steps preachers can take before climbing the real ones on Sunday morning... 1. Get in the Word We must immerse ourselves in the text at the outset o

Pastors & Spider-Man

The other night my wife and I decided to watch one of the Spiderman movies we owned at the house. During the movie, I felt an odd connection with Peter Parker and his Spiderman persona. It was then that I started thinking about all the ways pastors and Spiderman have a very similar calling. First, like Spiderman, pastors are urged to serve because of the serious need they see around them and the unique calling given them. Whereas Peter Parker is urged by the screams of people who are in danger, we are urged by the lostness around us. When Paul was at Athens, his spirit was provoked when he saw the idols they worshiped (Acts 17:16ff). As pastors, we must never stop seeing the spiritual desperation in people’s lives. All believers are called to serve others for the sake of Christ, but pastors have a unique calling to shepherd their souls as well. Second, both pastors and Spiderman share the struggle of their calling with one woman (our wives, except in the case of Peter Parker).

Sabbath or Lord's Day?

What is the Sabbath? Why did God include keeping the Sabbath in the 10 Commandments? Does the Bible call Christians today to keep the Sabbath? Should believers do any work on the Sabbath? Is the Sabbath Saturday or Sunday? Does any of this matter? These are all questions that the Bible answers for us, although there are a variety of different practices among churchgoers. It must first be noted that the keeping of the Sabbath was commanded by God Himself to the people of Israel as they wandered through the wilderness. God wanted His people to so reflect His holy character that He called them to rest from their work as He rested from the work of creation (Ex. 20:8-11). As He often does, God had called Israel to do the opposite of what common sense states. To take a day off of work is seen by many to be contrary to good productivity, but in the Lord's economy, it shows true success. By resting on the Sabbath day, Israel was publicly declaring to God their faith in His ability t