Skip to main content

My God Reigns

Its great to see how much bigger my God is compared to this world's many small 'g' gods. This past sunday night, some friends and I decided to go out sharing out faith on campus and we invited a few guys who don't normally go with us. It was great to see their obedience to God's command even though they were very uncomfortable doing this with people they have never met before. Just as normal, we prayed before talking with anyone....except for Clay, who couldn't hold it in when he saw an oppurtunity to talk with a girl about Jesus....and one of the things we prayed for and always pray for was that God would go before us and prepare the way, prepare their hearts, and soften them so that the seed of His Word could be planted there. We also prayed that God would go after us and water that seed after it has been planted and eventually bring forth the harvest in His Kairos (God's due time). The four of us that prayed then decided to split up into twos and Dean and I decided to go together. As Dean and I were walking around campus, we decided to go in front of West Hall as we were talking to each other. On the front lawn, there was a table set up with four chairs around it and four people were just chillin out there at like 10:30pm. We started to walk toward them, when we heard one of the guys mention the Bible loudly as he was talking. I immediately was able to see that God had prepared the way as His servants asked and was reminded of James 5:16 which states, "...the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." As we approached them, I asked them what they were doing out there and they said they were four friends who all the sudden got to talking about the Bible and had been talking about it for the past 2 hours. I knew then that it was all God's doing. Don't ya just love how he works? So I asked them if they were sure they where they were going when they died and three of the four immediately said "Heaven, sure of it". I then asked how they knew for sure, to which one replied, "because I do whats right, am a good person, etc." I went through the 10 Commandments (the Law) with her because as Romans 3:20 states, "for by the law comes the knowledge of sin" and she was proven to be a not so good person in God's standards of perfect holiness. I then explained that Jesus paid her penalty and took her punishment for her to know Him and His love for her. She was blown away at the simplicity of it all. By the end of the conversation, the two girls were sure that they were unrighteous apart from God's gift of reconciliation to Himself through Jesus. The girls struggled with understanding Creation and evolution, so Dean gave them all a copy of "One Heartbeat Away", which blows the religion of evolution out of the water. We later talked wtih two guys, one of whom was supposedly saved and the other who acknowledged to us (though he didn't have to, just to God) that he was in need of repentance (turning from a sinful life, to a God-honoring life) and belief in Jesus. The last group we talked with was about 5 people and one of the girls had many questions to test us with about being in the world. God was speaking straight through me for her and giving me all these verses to tell her. Then she stated something incorrectly from the Bible and I knew where it was to correct her. I noticed that as we had been talking, a guy came walking up and sat behind them who had a Bible in his hand. I asked to borrow it and he was glad for me to. I shared with her the passage from Ezekiel 33 about the Watchman and her whole demeanor changed. She stated that she had been backsliding a lot and needed prayer. After we talked, Dean and I left and the guy followed. He said he had been praying on campus and wanted to start going with us every time we went to share. He had been praying for revival and so had I. I think God is doing something amazing this semester. I wanna be steadfast to Him though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Steps to the Pulpit

Many times I’ve sat on the front pew just prior to the sermon time looking at the steps to the pulpit. In these moments each Sunday morning I’m reminded of the great task with which I have been entrusted and my own weakness to perform it. After hours of painstaking study and prayerful preparation, I still stare at those steps and feel under qualified, knowing I’ve only scratched the surface of the message. There is a certain holy trembling a preacher feels before climbing those steps to proclaim God’s eternal Word. In centuries past, preachers like Charles Spurgeon and Martyn Lloyd-Jones had to climb winding staircases to reach the “sacred desk”, but many pulpits today are just a few steps above the floor. Whether you have many steps or none at all, it is an other-worldly task we have been given. The following are a few practical steps preachers can take before climbing the real ones on Sunday morning... 1. Get in the Word We must immerse ourselves in the text at the outset o

Sleep: Keeping in the Guardrails

Sleep is great. Who doesn’t want to get a full eight hours every night and wake up feeling rested and refreshed? Yet most of us find this quite challenging, if not impossible. There can be any number of reasons why we don’t get a good night’s sleep: work demands, small children who often cry out at night, household chores that must be completed, our favorite TV show that comes on late, a guilty conscience or racing mind, or even a health problem. For those of us who don’t have as much responsibility,  over sleeping can be a temptation: college students who don’t have class until 11am, the retired or unemployed who don’t have a boss waiting on them, or the self-employed who don’t have a fixed schedule. What can we do to avoid losing control of our sleep and this causing damage in other aspects of our lives? God’s Word teaches us to stay between two guardrails: too little sleep and too much sleep. The first guardrail, too little sleep, is found in Psalm 127:2: “ It is vain that you r

God's Power to the Humble

Today I read: 2 Kings 5, Psalm 51, Daniel 9, and 1 Timothy 2. Gospel Summary: We must humble ourselves before God in order to experience His power. Those who do not come to the cross on their knees will be denied its saving power. Prayer: Great and awesome God, show me your power and glory so that I may stay humble before you at all times and not think that I have anything to boast of on my own. Thank you for humbling yourself in the wonder of the incarnation and the shame of the cross so that I might experience the power of your salvation. Show me my own proneness to wander from you so that I may constantly come humbled before your throne, for you use your power against the proud and I never want to experience that. Make your power known through me as I come constantly humbled before you, so that you may draw sinners to the Savior from among all peoples. In the powerful name of Jesus I pray, amen. Hymn: "Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior" by Fanny Crosby Pass me