Skip to main content

India- His nation

Hey Yall, this is a super long email that I wrote to BSU collegiate missions about India. If ya wonder what happened over there...Read it!:

The India trip was SO Amazing! One of the greatest things that God taught me through the trip was just how much bigger He was than just the U.S. God showed me that there are many different kinds of people He has created and they each have a yearning in their hearts for something more than just this world. God has placed eternity in men's hearts (Eccl. 3:11). The first night we showed up in Mumbai as we rushed onto our van and out of the airport I couldn't get over how TOTALLY different from the US their culture was. Flying past cars and driving on the left side of the road with no care in the world for the lines which were clearly marked. As I stooped to look out the window (because of the amount of people in such a small van I had to stand) all I saw as we flew through the dimly light streets was hundreds of people sleeping on the sidewalk, most with only a sheet or small blanket. I was taken aback knowing that these people do this every night while I lie in my bed in my big home in America.

As we approached at the hotel we were staying at, I soon realized that we were the minority and I have never been a minority before. I felt as though God was so much closer and was protecting me from so many things while over there it was great. My prayer life increased the second I encountered the transportation and culture in India. At the hotel, we met our two Journeymen friends and were able to talk with them about how crazy this culture is compared to us.

The next day, we went to a Muslim mosque that was out about a 1/4 of a mile in the Arabian Sea. There was a raised concrete platform to walk out there on, but the water was splashing up on both sides and there was all kinds of trash in the water. As we walked out there we were only a small group compared to the multitudes bringing gifts to offer to Allah. We encountered many different beggars who held up their hands and would touch their mouths to tell us they were hungry and it was hard to stay focused on what we were doing when they begged. As we kept walking out to the mosque we saw groups of men who had been mangled in some way missing arms or legs or eyes who were all laying on the platform and chanting loudly together while holding up their hands. I soon found out that these men have had these things done to them in order to bring in more of a profit from onlookers. It was hard watching several people come and throw their gifts at the altar for Allah knowing that God deserves it all.

As the week went on we had orientation where we learned about the different religions there and how to talk with them. Alicia and Mandi were great and they helped us so much in understanding the culture as well as what to do with what we have experienced so far. They soon showed us that our goal was to work with college students and we could basically go wherever we wanted to hang out with them and just act like we had no idea we weren't allowed. We were there to become friends with students who don't know the King and tell them about the greatest thing that has ever happened to us. As we continued to make friends with the people we encountered at coffee shops and other hangout spots like futbol fields and basketball courts, we set up times to go hang out at other places.

It was great spending time with these students and being able to eventually share with them about our Maker and Lord. I developed strong friendships with international students at the university and was able to share His love in many ways. After one long conversation that turned spiritual, I was able to share His story with a few international students. Two being Buddhist and one a Yoga god worshipper. One of the Buddhist men soon asked me, "How do I have this eternal life?" So I told him and he then said, "How do I pray?" I made absolutely sure that he understood that forsaking all was necessary before he gave his life to the Son. I said, "Are you willing to endure persecution and many trials and are you ready for Satan to tempt you constantly?" and he said, "Yes, I will forsake all to follow the Son". So that night he surrendered to the Lord and received Him and I gave him a copy of the Word to read. He was very interested in meeting up with other believers every week. The other Buddhist young man said he was not quite ready to forsake all yet but wanted the Word. Now this young man has been emailing me questions about our Lord all the time and I have been able to strengthen this friendship from the US.

After having a party for the students we met, we were able to get to know them better and show them His love more and more. His love is so big and it blew me away knowing that He would use me to show it. I want to go back as soon as I can to live for Him and shine on Him more.

At a small church in another town we were able to meet believers, many of which had never shared their testimony, and were also able to lead small groups which showed them how to share theirs. It was great to here these many amazing stories of how the King had changed their lives. One Hindu woman who came gave her life to the Lord that day as she heard other testimonies in her small group.

The trip was so amazing and God just did so much more than I could ask or even imagine. This trip showed me that I want to go all over the world to share His love and it lit a fire in my walk with Him that I hope will never go out but will continue to grow. Now that I am back I want to meet more international students at my school and spend time with them and I also want to do whatever I can to show the love of the Lord on everybody in my classes and work. My walk and dependence on the Lord has grown tremendously from this trip and I want the world to know that their Maker has given His life to redeem their souls because of love. Thanks for allowing me to go on this trip and helping to bring His story to hungry ears and hearts. I hope He teaches you the depth and length, breadth, and height of His love (Eph. 3:17-19).

In Him,

Austin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Steps to the Pulpit

Many times I’ve sat on the front pew just prior to the sermon time looking at the steps to the pulpit. In these moments each Sunday morning I’m reminded of the great task with which I have been entrusted and my own weakness to perform it. After hours of painstaking study and prayerful preparation, I still stare at those steps and feel under qualified, knowing I’ve only scratched the surface of the message. There is a certain holy trembling a preacher feels before climbing those steps to proclaim God’s eternal Word. In centuries past, preachers like Charles Spurgeon and Martyn Lloyd-Jones had to climb winding staircases to reach the “sacred desk”, but many pulpits today are just a few steps above the floor. Whether you have many steps or none at all, it is an other-worldly task we have been given. The following are a few practical steps preachers can take before climbing the real ones on Sunday morning... 1. Get in the Word We must immerse ourselves in the text at the outset o

Pastors & Spider-Man

The other night my wife and I decided to watch one of the Spiderman movies we owned at the house. During the movie, I felt an odd connection with Peter Parker and his Spiderman persona. It was then that I started thinking about all the ways pastors and Spiderman have a very similar calling. First, like Spiderman, pastors are urged to serve because of the serious need they see around them and the unique calling given them. Whereas Peter Parker is urged by the screams of people who are in danger, we are urged by the lostness around us. When Paul was at Athens, his spirit was provoked when he saw the idols they worshiped (Acts 17:16ff). As pastors, we must never stop seeing the spiritual desperation in people’s lives. All believers are called to serve others for the sake of Christ, but pastors have a unique calling to shepherd their souls as well. Second, both pastors and Spiderman share the struggle of their calling with one woman (our wives, except in the case of Peter Parker).

Sabbath or Lord's Day?

What is the Sabbath? Why did God include keeping the Sabbath in the 10 Commandments? Does the Bible call Christians today to keep the Sabbath? Should believers do any work on the Sabbath? Is the Sabbath Saturday or Sunday? Does any of this matter? These are all questions that the Bible answers for us, although there are a variety of different practices among churchgoers. It must first be noted that the keeping of the Sabbath was commanded by God Himself to the people of Israel as they wandered through the wilderness. God wanted His people to so reflect His holy character that He called them to rest from their work as He rested from the work of creation (Ex. 20:8-11). As He often does, God had called Israel to do the opposite of what common sense states. To take a day off of work is seen by many to be contrary to good productivity, but in the Lord's economy, it shows true success. By resting on the Sabbath day, Israel was publicly declaring to God their faith in His ability t