Skip to main content

Thankful for Seminary


I just finished my four year seminary career and man was it amazing. I have learned so much these past four years about the grace that God has given in sending His one and only Son. If someone were to ask me what the number one thing I learned in seminary is, I would have to say that I learned more about God's love for sinners in Christ than anything else. Before going to seminary I talked with one person who had just graduated and I asked them what they thought. They told me it should be called cemetery because this particular person's experience was not very good. I have to say that I don't understand how someone's experience could have been so negative because mine seemed so great. The professors at Southern Seminary are some of the most gifted Bible scholars in the world and yet they are very down to earth and friendly. I have had the privilege to learn the original languages of the Scripture along with courses on Church History and Systematic Theology. I have taken courses on books of the Bible from my own pastor and have been privileged to grow in my knowledge of Scripture.


 Seminary has taught me a lot, but so has marriage. Emily and I got married on June 6, 2009 and had our daughter Annie Ruth October 16, 2011 (my birthday). I have learned through marriage what it means to be a good husband who leads the family well and provides for them. I have learned the importance of not being overly busy and having quality family time. I have also learned that I am a huge sinner. Before marriage, its fairly easy to think of oneself as pretty holy, but marriage helps to bring out your true nature and allow God to really get to working on your sanctification. I am so grateful now to have a little sinner to lead in raising unto the Lord so that I can best explain this big and wonderful God I've come to know.


 Now that my seminary career is over I am sending out resumes all over the country and am passionate about serving the Lord in the local church. The local church is where God's heart is and I want to be there to serve Him. Its so great being done with seminary because now I have all the more time to devote to serving His body. I have to say that the most important thing I've learned about myself in seminary is the importance to have godly friends who will help you live for the Lord. The friends who have been there during my seminary career have truly helped me to fall more in love with Jesus when this old stubborn heart of mine wants its own ways pretty bad. I am so excited to see where God takes us next and I pray he helps me fan into flame His gift for the equipping of the saints for the work of the ministry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nate's On Fire

At Fan Into Flame, which means at my house, Thursday night, God brought us into conversing about evangelism...and Nate, who once said that this sort of evangelism was SO wrong and just self-righteous, stood up and said that he was very wrong about that.....He said that he has found that evangelism fires up the believer to the point of a purpose for everyday of life....he got so into it that he said, "I've gotta go now" and walked out....he came back a few hours later and told an amazing story about how he had gone straight to the KA house (because hes in the frat) and parked his car to talk to folks on campus. Well they were having a party at the house and he got to share with a few of his buddies there about how horrible it is live for this life and how they need to turn to Christ....they all left....he didn't stop....he then went to the UC and talked with some guys skateboarding....one rejected him, the other didn't.....he told the atheist who talked with him t...

Giving it up and Just Meeting God

I was about to go to bed the other night when Doug told me he wanted to just chill with me and talk about what God is up to. I had been running around like a chicken with my head cut off all day and was acting as though God would waste some of my time. I have now come to the conclusion that God deserves my time...even if it means me only getting about 4 hrs of sleep, like I did last night. I think this is gonna teach me to discipline myself about all the stuff I go to and do with other people so that I can sit and just chill with God for a while each day. I don't like the term "quiet time" because its just so lame sounding....I prefer Chill Time. I think if God were to use up to date lingo, he would call it chill time. I mean, why can't we just be still and know that He is God. I also think this will strengthen my love for Him and for others. If I really put the day into perspective BEFORE it starts, I know that things will go smoother with God on His rightful...

6 Ways to Stay Humble

An old country song goes like this: “Lord, it’s hard to be humble, when you’re perfect in every way.” Most of us would not put it so bluntly, but we all find it hard to be humble. The problem with us is that we forget who we are in the grand scheme of things. We must remember that we are but dust created in the image of God and made to display His worth. One particular passage of Scripture is thoroughly helpful in turning our eyes off our own navels and onto God’s glory: Philippians 2:5-11. By meditating on the gospel in this text, even the most prideful among us will be leveled low. To stay in a humbled position... 1. Feast your eyes on the matchless glory of Christ (vv. 5-6) “ Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped …” Paul ascends to breathe the air of Mount Everest in this ancient hymn of the church. He speaks of Jesus’ divinity and equal status as God ...